Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RN To Anesthesiologist Assistant Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ASA Follower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASA Follower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RN To Anesthesiologist Assistant Program
    Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 2:08pm
RN To Anesthesiologist Assistant Program

Quite a few RN's have gone through the AA programs instead of a CRNA program.
There are usually two main reasons that I've seen. One is simply location. There is an AA school located in or near their current location that doesn't require them to move. Emory is a prime example. The closest CRNA schools to Atlanta are Augusta, Chattanooga, Birmingham, and the new school in Macon.

The 2nd reason fits your situation. An RN, but with a bachelor's degree in something besides nursing. That rules you out of most nurse anesthesia programs.

RN's usually do quite well in the AA programs. The catch there is that most RN's aren't going to have some of the more advanced science courses needed for the AA program. As a biology major, you may already have most if not all of what you need that RN's usually don't have - organic, biochemistry, physics, and perhaps calculus.

If you like the idea of doing bigger cases - hearts, neuro, vascular, thoracic, complex laparoscopies, etc. - then you're going to be in a practice with anesthesiologists, either as part of a group or working for the hospital. CRNA's, as much as they want you to think it's true, simply do NOT routinely do these types of cases outside of an anesthesia care team environment. There are a few exceptions, but as a rule, they don't. Anyone that tells you otherwise is pretty much blowing smoke. I would defy anyone to name a hospital anywhere in the US that does open heart surgery and neurosurgery (I'm talking tumors and vascular) as part of their normal caseload that has an all-CRNA department with no anesthesiologists around. They don't exist.

If you like the idea of working in smaller hospitals or clinics
, with more independence in your practice, go the CRNA route. You'll do lots of little cases, maybe lots of plastic surgery (boring) and the occasional bigger case that's too sick to ship out to a real hospital. Want to do lots of blocks? CRNA is usually the better route, but if you measure your professional existence by where you can (or can't) stick a needle in someone, you will be sorely disappointed.

AA's are trained to work as part of the team, and I'll put our training and education up against any CRNA program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who are Doctors Of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP's)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
juamedina View Drop Down

Quote juamedina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:53pm
Thanks for your info, its very helpful! I am in the process of applying for Nurse School to get my RN. I am a Biologist and while looking for information on CRNA career, I found the AA and it called my attention. Reasons: Fast track, group work (team), and No Nursing degree required. I live in Richmond VA and VCU has some programs that I could fit in, but my question is if its possible to do a transition from AA to CRNA later in case I decide to do so? And what about salary, is AA well payed? ( I am looking for a good range to keep myself confortable, not rich...but comfortable. I make ~ 32000 now and would be nice to double that!

I work as a researcher with Hemorrhagic Shock and my job is based on keeping the animal anesthetized, plus collecting data from medical devices and performing surgeries as well. I have a good idea of what I wanna do, but I am just I little bit lost in so many options that the Nursing field offers.

All adivise will be welcome, please let me know any more info u may have

Thank you

juamedina View Drop Down

Quote juamedina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:54pm
Just added email notify!
sinoamrt View Drop Down

Quote sinoamrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by juamedina

Thanks for your info, its very helpful! I am in the process of applying for Nurse School to get my RN. I am a Biologist and while looking for information on CRNA career, I found the AA and it called my attention. Reasons: Fast track, group work (team), and No Nursing degree required. I live in Richmond VA and VCU has some programs that I could fit in, but my question is if its possible to do a transition from AA to CRNA later in case I decide to do so? And what about salary, is AA well payed? ( I am looking for a good range to keep myself confortable, not rich...but comfortable. I make ~ 32000 now and would be nice to double that!

I work as a researcher with Hemorrhagic Shock and my job is based on keeping the animal anesthetized, plus collecting data from medical devices and performing surgeries as well. I have a good idea of what I wanna do, but I am just I little bit lost in so many options that the Nursing field offers.

All adivise will be welcome, please let me know any more info u may have

Thank you

good
Clap
is there so many Cheap Wholesale Products and China Wholesale Products ioi ,can you tell me
 Post Reply Post Reply