Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eLampin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eLampin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone PLEASE help me?
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:38pm
Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading the forum for about a month and finally decided to register because I'm going crazy over here!

I just turned 28(boooo), and even though I'm pretty mad at myself for taking this long to decide to go back to school, I'm trying to stick with the "better late than never" outlook. I'm still beating myself up over going to Trade schools this whole time but I can't change the past, only move forward. I've always been extremely interested in this and I know it would be hard but very rewarding. I was thinking of going into the Lab side of things-Medical Lab Technologist/Hematology but I've heard it's not what it used to be due to the lack of hands-on procedures. I've also heard it's underpaid and under-appreciated.

Is anyone working towards the AA program and just starting out in there late 20's? Anyone have a family and doing this? Just how hard is it? Is it do-able at my age?

I'd love some help in the direction I should take! Here's what I would love to do, however I don't know if it's possible and i don't know if it would be the best way to go-

Find an Anesthesia Tech program somewhere near me in Miami, complete my Associate of Science as a Tech, land a job working as a Tech and then continue on with my Bachelors in a related field(biology is what I'd love to go for, however I don't know if it's transferrable).
Work as a Tech part-time while finishing up with my Bachelors and then apply for the AA program at Nova. How hard is acceptance into Nova? I would just die if I did all of this just to get in and was rejected. Would they turn me down because of my age?

Does this sound like something that would be possible to do? Or would I be backtracking or creating a longer path than just going straight for my Bachelors in Bio? I'd love to get into the field asap and make some kind of money while working towards this. I also know if I was working as a Tech, it'd look great on my application.
Im in Hospitality now and am miserable. I just don't know if I would be able to continue doing this for another 4 years while going to school for my Bachelors. I can't stand it as it is. I'd love to get into the Medical Field while in school so if I could become a Tech and then continue on to the AA program that'd be ideal.

I'm not too familiar with how credits transfer etc. because I have only attended Trade schools and they work completely different!
The only school I currently know of that offers the Anesthesia Tech program is at MyCityCollege in miami. Does anyone know anything about this school? Does anyone know of any other schools that offer the program near Miami? All of the job postings here at the hospitals say they require Certified Anesthesia Technician. Successful completion of the examination and certification requirements established by the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians.

The only thing this City College states is this: City College is a Senior College accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to award Diplomas, Associate of Science and Bachelor of Science degrees.
City College is licensed by the Commission for Independent Education, divisions of Non-public Career Education and Independent Colleges and Universities, to confer Diplomas, Associate of Science and the Bachelor of Science degrees.

Does this mean the credits would be transferrable to a Bachelors at a different school? How do I know if the Anesthesia Tech program is certified and accredited? These types of schools aren't exactly 100% honest as I've experienced in the past so I don't know how to find out.

I've been going crazy trying to put all of this together and get it going! I can't afford to waste any more time. Can I get a few opinions on what sounds best or what they would do in my situation? No one else I've talked to can give me insight. (I'm so sorry this is so long!!!)   

Thank you so much for your help!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply