Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

States Considering adding AA Licensure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scott_PA-C View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_PA-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: States Considering adding AA Licensure?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:51pm
Is anyone aware of any states that are considering adding AA Licensure?  Currently where is the greatest opportunity for AAs?
blugas View Drop Down

Quote blugas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 10:13pm

I believe opportunity is everywhere for AA's.  The main reason that many states do not yet have AA's practicing is because no AA have tried or lobbied to gain employment in those states.  Currently,  AA's make up a very small percentage of anesthesia providers.  The main reason is, until recently only three schools graduated AA's.  Now schools are popping up left and right.  There are currently six.  That means more AA graduates and more AA's knocking on the doors of states that are not yet using AA's.Wink 

---------------------------------------------------------

www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com

www.DNAP.com

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:16pm
Scott_PA-C View Drop Down

Quote Scott_PA-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 10:18pm
I think a good next step is for them to go back to the states which they have delegatory licensure and work on getting full licensing!  I think the AAs are going to be a great asset to the anesthesia care team myself.

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:17pm
Gas-X View Drop Down

Quote Gas-X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 9:22am
I believe there is a bill in the works in Utah to allow AA's to practice there.

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:19pm
MEFerrante View Drop Down

Quote MEFerrante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 3:24pm
Utah is considering it, this is the 2nd year now.  It was not passed last year due to CRNA resistance, but the Utah Medical Association and Utah Society of Anesthesiologists support and sponsor the bill.  It may be tough this year though because of the economy and so many budget cuts-How do they give extra money to create licensure for AAs along with a governing body for them if they (state legislators) are budget cutting everywhere?  Utah has the best economy in the nation-lowest unemployment rate-but well have to see.  I hope it passes, but I don't know that they can justify creating a licensure committee when they are being FORCED to cut $30Million from the school of medicine....Here's hoping!

http://www.le.state.ut.us/search.jsp?Sess=2009GS&String=269&Submit=Find

Utah Bill

I hope it passes so that I can come back here after I finish school.   One state at a time....

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:21pm
aroybal View Drop Down

Quote aroybal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 4:46pm
I recently got into the Tampa NOVA class for 09 and I live in New Mexico.  In NM AA's are only allowed to practice at the University hospital, but there is currently legislation for the second year in a row to open up the whole state to AA's

Quote MEFerrante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 2:24am
Maryland!

However, it might turn out to be a Florida-like (5 year) battle...If this keeps up. look at this.....

Who are DNAP's? Upgraded CRNA's? - www.DNAP.com

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:23pm

Quote MEFerrante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 12:48am
Utah house bill 269 failed and the CRNA resistance helped in the defeat of the bill.  Looks like it will be 2011 before any AAs are in Utah. The president of the Utah Med. Assn. told me though that next year he is confident there will be more support and hopefully it will pass.  Patience.....one state at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply